How Bad Are Your Sinuses?
Sore face, stuffy nose, coughing and sneezing...sound like you? Evaluate your symptoms to find out if you could be a candidate for a procedure called Balloon Sinuplasty, which greatly reduces the suffering experienced by chronic sinusitis patients.Take the Quiz
Sinus infections affect millions of people every year. Becoming knowledgeable about them can help you better identify infections and to get back on your feet quicker.
What is a Sinus Infection?
A sinus infection, or sinusitis, is when the tissues in your sinus cavities become inflamed. Once the sinus cavities become inflamed blockages can occur and stop bacteria or viruses from getting out. This build up is what leads to the infection. Sinus infections can be acute/short term or chronic/long-term. When a sinus infection lasts longer than 12 weeks it is considered to be chronic.
What Can Cause a Sinus Infection?
- Allergies - Allergies can cause the sinuses to inflame and swell resulting in a blockage and infection.
- Nasal Polyps - Nasal polyps can cause blockages and result in infections.
- Deviated Septum - The septum is the wall of cartilage between the nostrils. When it is abnormally shaped it can cause blockages that result in infections.
- Underlying Conditions - Certain diseases such as cystic fibrosis, can cause blockages in the nasal cavity.
- Respiratory Infections - Illnesses, such as the common cold, cause swelling and may result in blockages.
Sinus Infection Symptoms
- Nasal congestion or obstruction
- Pain around the eyes
- Stuffy Nose
- Ear Pain
- Sore Throat
Hillcrest ENT is Treating Sinus Infections in the San Diego, Hillcrest Area
The treatment of sinus infections can vary with the cause of the infection. At Hillcrest ENT we can get to the root cause of your sinus infection and get you back on your feet in no time.Schedule Today