How Bad Are Your Sinuses?
Sore face, stuffy nose, coughing and sneezing...sound like you? Evaluate your symptoms to find out if you could be a candidate for a procedure called Balloon Sinuplasty, which greatly reduces the suffering experienced by chronic sinusitis patients.Take the Quiz
Sinus Infections: Causes, Symptoms, & Treatments
Sinus infections affect millions of people every year. Some sinusitis cases will go away on their own or with antibiotics, but this isn’t always the case. If you are one of the many Americans suffering from sinusitis and you believe you can’t get rid of it, Hillcrest ENT can help.
What is a Sinus Infection?
A sinus infection, or sinusitis, is when the tissues in your sinus cavities become inflamed. Once the sinus cavities become inflamed blockages can occur and stop bacteria or viruses from getting out. This build up is what leads to the infection. Sinus infections can be acute/short term or chronic/long-term. When a sinus infection lasts longer than 12 weeks it is considered to be chronic.
What Can Cause a Sinus Infection?
- Allergies - Allergies can cause the sinuses to inflame and swell resulting in a blockage and infection.
- Nasal Polyps - Nasal polyps can cause blockages and result in infections.
- Deviated Septum - The septum is the wall of cartilage between the nostrils. When it is abnormally shaped it can cause blockages that result in infections.
- Underlying Conditions - Certain diseases such as cystic fibrosis, can cause blockages in the nasal cavity.
- Respiratory Infections - Illnesses, such as the common cold, cause swelling and may result in blockages.
- Viruses – Several viruses, including the flu and Covid-19, are widely known to be contagious and can lead to sinus infections among various other sinonasal issues
Sinus Infection Symptoms
- Nasal congestion or obstruction
- Pain around the eyes
- Stuffy Nose
- Ear Pain
- Sore Throat
You Can Overcome Chronic Sinusitis
Patients who struggle from chronic sinusitis will do anything to get sinus pain relief. There are many different ways to overcome sinusitis and the method that will work best for you is determined by the type of sinusitis you have.
Hillcrest ENT can find the right sinusitis treatment for you and help you overcome your chronic sinusitis.
Most people start by visiting the local pharmacy in an attempt to self-medicate, but there are so many choices that it can get confusing as to what medication will treat your exact symptoms. Many over-the-counter medicines have unnecessary ingredients, and even if you choose the right medication, it may only provide short-term relief.
Natural Home Remedies
Sometimes, going to the pharmacy is not an option, and you have to turn to home remedies. Home remedies can range from simple lifestyle changes and the use of steam and water to alleviate symptoms.
Sinus surgery may be a long-term option for patients who suffer from chronic sinusitis. Sinus surgeries can be painful and are only necessary in certain situations. Some surgical procedures include:
- Deviated Septum Surgery: while some deviated septums may be severe and need surgery, most are not deviated enough to require surgery for improvement.
- Endoscopic Sinus Surgery: Endoscopic surgery may be required when there is an internal physical problem with the nose.
Alternatives to surgery exist and are generally safer and cheaper!
Balloon sinuplasty is a safe in-office procedure that is a minimally invasive alternative to surgery. It does not involve cutting, the removal of bone, bleeding, or a long recovery. Balloon sinuplasty can have you breathing again the same day.
The balloon sinuplasty procedure will address the root cause of your sinus pressure. A small balloon is inserted into the sinus cavity and then inflated to open the sinuses. You will be able to get back to your normal life within 24 hours.
Hillcrest ENT is Treating Sinus Infections in the San Diego, Hillcrest Area
The treatment of sinus infections can vary with the cause of the infection. At Hillcrest ENT we can get to the root cause of your sinus infection and get you back on your feet in no time.Schedule Today!